Initial Teacher Training
School Direct 2021-22
School Direct is a great route into teaching. It enables you, as a trainee, to have complete control over your main placement school, unlike the PGCE where this will be chosen for you. You still benefit from a 6 week placement in a contrasting school. This means you begin to build a relationship with that school from the very start of the process. Furthermore, for the majority of trainees there is a job at the end of the training year with no need for another interview.
Ealing Teaching School Alliance (ETSA) is an exciting and innovative collaboration striving to provide teaching excellence in the London Borough of Ealing. The Alliance comprises of 12 secondary schools and 1 primary school, and is in partnership with St Mary's, Hillingdon SCITT and Goldsmiths.
ETSA has a fantastic reputation for its well-established training programmes and its excellent track-record of induction. ETSA’s commitment to ensuring that all trainees, regardless of subject or route, are able to benefit from the experience and expertise of the very best practitioners makes it an excellent place to train and procure employment once qualified. For the past five years, the vast majority of ETSA trainees have secured their first qualified teacher role within the Alliance upon completion of their training year.
To find out more about School Direct at ETSA, please see our School Direct Information Pack.
For a list of ETSA School Direct vacancies for September 2021 entry, please click here. Applications will open on 13th October 2020.
Two models for School Direct
School Direct Unsalaried (sometimes referred to as the training route)
This is aimed at graduates and there are bursaries available depending on subject and degree classification. Training is provided by your main school and, for the majority of ETSA placements, St Mary's. This route leads to QTS and a PGCE (with credits at Masters level).
School Direct Salaried
This is aimed at career-changers with at least three years of relevant work experience and will see you employed as an Unqualified Teacher by your main school. ETSA schools all benefit from London weighting. You will also still have the opportunity to spend 4-6 weeks in a contrasting school. Training is provided by your main school and, for the majority of ETSA placements, St Mary's. This route leads to QTS only but you can continue your studies in your NQT year (Newly Qualified Teacher) to obtain a PGCE – this is at an additional cost but still tends to be less expensive than the PGCE route.
General Entry Requirements
- For all programmes a GCSE, or comparable qualification, at grade C is required in English Language and Mathematics (for some courses a GCSE grade C in a Science subject is also required).
- You will also need a first or second-class UK Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- All students will be expected to have relevant experience within a school setting or have arrangements for that experience in place. For the School Direct Salaried route, applicants should be able to demonstrate a minimum of 2 weeks of experience in an educational setting.
- On the School Direct Salaried route applicants must demonstrate they have 18 months to 3 years’ full time work experience (exact length depends on your chosen subject).
Application process and timings
Once you have submitted your application, there are 40 working days to process an application and offer a place;
- Schools have 25 days to arrange and conduct an interview
- The Universities then have 15 days to conduct final stage interviews/assessments and communicate their final decision to the applicant.
School Direct Recruitment Fairs
If you would like to talk to us further about School Direct opportunities with ETSA we will be at;
If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us at [email protected]
Or follow us on Twitter at: @EalingTSA